[BLML] Victory Points for Swiss Matchpoint Pairs

Gordon Rainsford gordonr60 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 08:52:55 CET 2017

Here in the EBU where our Swiss Pairs matches are usually 7 or 8 boards long we convert to VPs. When we run an event with shorter rounds (4 boards) we don’t. The purpose of Victory Pointing is to limit the advantage that can be gained in an early poorly-balanced match. I once played such a match where we would have scored 94% had it not been converted to VPs – a huge amount to carry forward in an event with only six matches.

In shorter matches, especially in longer events, I think it’s more desirable for each board to have equal weight, which does not happen with the conversion.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10