[BLML] ??

Richard Hills hildalirsch at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 01:44:56 CET 2017

As suggested by Gordon Rainsford I had a look at the Bridge Winners webpage. An interesting hypothetical argument was posed there.

During an auction one partner bids 3NT. From the other partner's point of view Pass = 40%, Bid 1 = 30% and Bid 2 = 30%. So all three calls are deemed to be logical alternatives. At the table Bid 1 was selected, and it was the only successful call. However, UI altered the odds. After the UI Pass = 0%, Bid 1 = 50% and Bid 2 = 50%. But did the player call illegally, given that the successful Bid 1 was not demonstrably suggested over the unsuccessful Bid 2?

Yes, the UI made Pass the only legal call (and if Pass had serendipitously been the only successful call, then for a Law-abiding player virtue would have been rewarded). This is because the Drafters of the 2017 Lawbook carefully reworded Law 16B1(a):

"A player may not choose a call or play that is demonstrably suggested over another by unauthorized information if the other call or play is a logical alternative."

Best wishes,

Richard Hills

Sent from my iPad