[BLML] An incredible hand

Herman De Wael hermandw at skynet.be
Fri Dec 8 08:41:34 CET 2017

Robert Geller wrote:
 > Yes, but nothing in the Laws allows the RA to mandate that players use a
 > 4321 point count (or quick tricks or LTC or anything else) to evaluate
 > their hand.

True, but the WBF does not do that. A weak hand is defined as being a
king or more below an average hand, with an average hand being one with
a 4432 distribution and one card of every rank. So seven points without
distribution, basically. The WBF does not prescribe a way of converting
length into strength, and the usual (1 in your longest = 1 HCP) is
assumed. This would make this hand barely acceptable. But in how far is
this conversion true for an 8-card suit. Eight trumps with QJT is a sure
six tricks, whereas 6 to QJ8 can never be counted for four. So the
conversion does not hold, IMO, and I did not rule illegal system in this