[BLML] An incredible hand

Peter Smulders p.j.m.smulders at home.nl
Thu Dec 7 09:49:15 CET 2017

>From: Herman De Wael <hermandw at skynet.be>
>Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2017 17:14:36 +0100
>Subject: Re: [BLML] ***SPAM*** Re: An incredible hand
>Message: 4
>
>Sven Pran wrote:
>>I don't understand how any jurisdiction may forbid for instance opening bids
>>at the one level with less than 8 HVP.
>>
>>What they can do (and what I assume most have done) is to have restrictions
>>on agreements which implies opening such weak hands at the one level.
>>
>>There is a difference.
>
>There is, a theoretical one.
>
>But in practice, when a player opens a particular hand with a
>paticular bid (or more general, makes any bid with that hand), then
>the Director will ofte have to assume that the particular bid is systemic.
>So in many cases the difference is only theoretical.
>
>In the current case, the opening bid of 1Sp certainly has the
>meaning "I think I can make a majority of tricks in this strain,
>partner, if you have three more tricks, you can bid 4Sp.
>Certainly a systemic meaning.
>So under the old "rule of 18", this opening must be prohibited.
>Which only shows that the rule of 18 is not optimum.
>
>Herman.

Most players don't have agreements on freak hands like this.
Apparently you consider ideas such as "bid what you think you can
make" or "use common sense" a concealed understanding.
The hand has 6 solid tricks, and with a partner who is not completely
bust but has less than opening values a part score is possible but
game is very unlikely.
I would not call a call of 1S a psyche, and even if it s, it is
certainly not artifcial. Thus it does not meet the condition of Law 40B2:
The RA "v) may restrict the use of psychic artificial calls".