[BLML] An incredible hand

David Grabiner grabiner at alumni.princeton.edu
Thu Dec 7 01:52:57 CET 2017

>>>Opening either 1H or 1S is a psyche, as it is a gross distortion of
>>>strength.  Therefore,either one is legal but is subject to whatever
>>>rules apply to psyches.  I don't know the rules in Belgium, but in the
>>>ACBL, the rule would be that you cannot have an agreement on psyches,
>>>and the director will rule against you if you may have fielded the
>>>psyche (for example, responder fails to double the final contract when
>>>it should go down if opener has a real bid).
>
>>A real bid? What is more natural than, "I am certain of making six
>>tricks in this suit, so I'm willing to risk bidding one".
>
>Herman.

> Right. Bidding 1S is not a gross distortion of what you expect from
> this hand. If that'is illegal in Belgium the local rules are in
> conflict with the Laws.

Bidding 1S is presumably a gross distortion from your systemic agreement,
which is that an opening bid shows certain high-card values.  That is what
makes it a psyche.

If you have an agreement that hands with values close to this can be opened
1S in third seat, then bidding 1S is not a psyche, and the regulating
authority can forbid such an agreement.