[BLML] An incredible hand

David Grabiner grabiner at alumni.princeton.edu
Tue Dec 5 15:59:51 CET 2017

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 9:47 AM, Herman De Wael <hermandw at skynet.be> wrote:

> I must admit that I would have thought abut 1H, indeed.
> But sadly it was not me.
>
> What do you think about opening 1Sp?
> Would you consider that a 'weak opening at the one-level' and thus not
> permitted (at this level)?
> The 'rule of 18' is no longer of application in Belgian system regulations.
>

> > QJT98753
> > 643
> > 5
> > 8
> >

> > it gets better:
> >
> > you're non-vul against vul, third in hand,
> >
> > and the bidding starts :
> >

> > pass - pass

Opening either 1H or 1S is a psyche, as it is a gross distortion of
strength.  Therefore,either one is legal but is subject to whatever rules
apply to psyches.  I don't know the rules in Belgium, but in the ACBL, the
rule would be that you cannot have an agreement on psyches, and the
director will rule against you if you may have fielded the psyche (for
example, responder fails to double the final contract when it should go
down if opener has a real bid).