[BLML] Incompletely designated ruff

Jeff Easterson Jeff.Easterson at gmx.de
Sat Oct 22 14:06:31 CEST 2016

This may be a language problem.  The word "underruff"does make sense
linguistically although rarely at the bridge table.  Gnerall "ruff"
surely means to ruff high enough to win the trick although there may be
rare exceptions.  (I think you can find at least one by Victor Mollo and
Rueful Rabbit.)  But I don't understand how ruff can not be equivalnt to
> Volker Walther wrote:
>> If "ruff" is equivalent to "win" the word "underruff" does not make any
>> sense. But there is sense in the word "underruff". So the assumption
>> that "ruff" and "win" are equivalent seems to be wrong.
>> "trump".
>> But I agree "ruff" is not equivalent "trump" as well.
Can "ruff" not mean trump?  Can you ruff with another suit?