[BLML] Incompletely designated ruff

Volker Walther bridge at vwalther.de
Fri Oct 21 18:01:17 CEST 2016

If "ruff" is equivalent to "win" the word "underruff" does not make any
sense. But there is sense in the word "underruff". So the assumption
that "ruff" and "win" are equivalent seems to be wrong.

But I agree "ruff" is not equivalent "trump" as well. It is somewhere in
between and much closer to "win" than to "spade".
Unless there is some evidence that declarer did not realize the S5,  I
would apply 46B1(b) rather than B2. But this decision has to be made at
the table.

Suppose the heart is led at trick 12 and declarer claims: "I will ruff
the hearts in dummy". Do you give a trump to the S5?

Volker

--
Volker Walther