[BLML] Incompletely designated ruff

Sven Pran sven at svenpran.net
Wed Oct 19 16:31:44 CEST 2016

"Common sense" tells me that "ruff" shows the incontrovertible intention to
win the trick.
Law 46B: .....(except when declarer’s different intention is
incontrovertible).

If his intention had been to underruff I would have expected him to simply
call for "a trump" or "a spade".

However, if he says "ruff" before LHO has played to the trick he is deemed
to play the lowest trump regardless of which card LHO then plays.

The word "ruff" doesn't designate a card, it designates an action.