[BLML] Could have known

agot agot at ulb.ac.be
Mon May 23 16:35:52 CEST 2016

Le 23.05.2016 15:01, Herman De Wael a écrit :

> L23 could be viewed in connection to L72B1. A player should not
> deliberately infract, even if he's prepared to suffer the penalty. <BIG
> SNIP>

I think there lies the main problem.

We all agree that a player should not deliberately infract (contrast
with basketball).

But L23 isn't there to penalize players who deliberately infracted, but
those who didn't but might have done the same thing, had they decided to
infract.

Which makes the link rather weak.

IMO "could have understood after lengthy analysis that it might be a
trap against declarer if declarer thought the way one thinks he could
have" doesn't fall within the socpe of L23 ; "could easily have deduced
that the penalty would obviously help him" does.

The Aussie case is of the former ilk.

Best regards

   Alain