[BLML] Could have known

Herman De Wael hermandw at skynet.be
Fri May 20 11:42:01 CEST 2016

Vigfús Pálsson schreef:
> Are we really suggesting to use of law 73F here?

yes

> If it is,  then something is missing in this story.

maybe you did not read the same into it as I did. My question is why it
would not be ruled such in OZ.

Let's see (I'm now going on to the original, see further)

> Well In Iceland,  the ruling is "Next board please"
>
> Greetings
>
> Vigfus Palsson

Let's try to construct a "could have known" story:

East knows, from the lead, that South has the queen of hearts.
Let's suppose he knows from the bidding that South has real diamonds. So
there can be no other winner for his side than the Ace of clubs. If
South still needs it, the queen of clubs is also a trick. So if South
has the king of hearts as well, there is no more play. So East can
assume west has the king, and has led a sneaky jack.
So south may assume East has the king of hearts, and taking a penalty
card in hearts may lead south to play towards his queen, if there is
still a choice between two lines (south does not know the club finesse
is on).
So from East's perspective, taking a penalty card is a move which might
lead south to a different, losing line.

East could certainly have known that taking a penalty card might be to
his advantage.

I would certainly rule against, and I don't see why this should be
different in OZ.

> Tony (Sydney)

Herman.