[BLML] Glow teen

agot agot at ulb.ac.be
Wed May 11 16:14:10 CEST 2016

Le 10.05.2016 17:09, Richard Hills a écrit :
> The 2005 Disney movie Sky High is about an airborne high school for
> superhero teenagers. One such teen had the apparently ineffective
> power of glowing in the dark, so initially he was relegated to the
> status of sidekick. However, in the climax of the movie this glow teen
> was instrumental in the defeat of the supervillain.
>
> Imps, Dlr: South, Vul: Nil
>
> .............K743
> .............KT8
> .............K2
> .............AK84
> ---.........................AQJ9852
> QJ5432.................7
> QJ6.......................9543
> 6532......................7
> .............T6
> .............A96
> .............AT87
> .............QJT9
>
> Hashmat Ali as South opened 1NT (Announced as 11-14), West chose to
> overcall 2D (either hearts or both black suits), as North I made a
> value-showing double, East dutifully bid 2H, pass, pass, penalty
> double from me. Now East ran to 2S, pass, pass, another penalty double
> from me. Pass, pass and now West innovatively ran to his three-card
> diamond suit. I made a forcing pass, and Hashmat had no difficulty in
> doubling 3D for penalties. +1100 to the good guys.
>
> At the end of play unsurprisingly East-West had a willing post-mortem
> as to who was responsible for avoiding the relatively cheap contract
> of 2Sx which would be only -300. West argued that East should have
> immediately responded 2S to the 2D overcall. East argued (in my
> opinion correctly) that once West had described his shape East was
> captain of the auction.

It's not te core of the argument here, but notice that a direct 2S bid
would be "pass-or-correct", so East manoeuvered well.

In better systems, a redouble asks partner to bid 2H, after which you
make the final bid in your long suit(or a game try, if a jump). This is
known in some circles as a "selfish redouble".

Best regards

   Alain