[BLML] Uno

Richard Hills hildalirsch at gmail.com
Sun May 8 09:22:21 CEST 2016

Alain Gottcheiner:

[snip]

I wouldn't lead a club, fearing AQ facing void, or perhaps I would,
others being nearly as dangerous.

Does North hold a void ? (most probably not in a red suit) Do they play
exclusion BW ? Is North the kind of guy who likes to leap to slam to
avoid giving away information ? etc. So no lead stands out.

[snip]

Richard Hills:

Yes, I was the kind of guy sitting North who likes to leap to slam, because
I have not yet adopted the Exclusion Blackwood convention. An American
blmler publicly asserted that I was unethical for a previous successful
leap to slam; he argued that my leap "proved" that I had infracted Law 16C
via non-existent so-called unconscious / invisible UI. On this occasion the
complete deal is a counter-example to the American blmer's deluded belief:

.............KQ8632
.............AKJ73
.............KJ
.............---
AT4.........................---
986.........................542
AQT975..................8642
T.............................K86432
.............J975
.............QT
.............3
.............AQJ975

Obviously I could not have overheard a whisper from a player at an adjacent
table stating that, "6S is cold," since 6S is not cold. Indeed, in this ten
table Mitchell-with-a-skip movement all of the other eight declarers scored
exactly eleven tricks. But since I was the kind of guy who likes to avoid
giving away information East had to guess the opening lead.

East misguessed with a low club. I finessed the queen of clubs, discarding
the jack of diamonds from my hand. Now I attempted to cash the ace of
clubs, but West ruffed with the ten of spades. Plan B. I overruffed and
played on hearts. With the heart suit breaking 3-3 dummy's singleton
diamond disappeared.

Best wishes,

Richard Hills

PS Of course the Serious Error was perpetrated by the Walter the Walrus
sitting West. Walter deemed a mere 10 hcp insufficient to overcall 1D after
South's opening bid of 1C. Those players not slaves to the Milton Work
Point Count would automatically overcall 1D, due to the diamond suit
quality and two Quick Tricks. It is poetic justice that the Walrus's
failure to overcall meant that Walter failed to cash one of his Quick
Tricks.