[BLML] Uno

Timothy N. Hill thill75 at wesleyan.edu
Thu May 5 07:16:33 CEST 2016

On 2016 May 4, at 09:26, Richard Hills <hildalirsch at gmail.com> wrote:

> West broke tempo over South's 1NT response, demonstrably suggesting extra values. However, East's uno hcp together with the timid North-South bidding demonstrably suggests that West holds extra values.
>
> Hence, is West's UI cancelled by the available AI?

No, the UI still exists and still demonstrably suggests competing. The issue is whether, given the AI and without the UI, passing out 1NT is a LA.

The definition of LA (Law 16B1b) effectively requires polling. If the two responses to Richard’s poll on BLML are representative of “the class of players in question,” then Pass is, by definition, a LA, and the score must be adjusted if East gained an advantage by not passing.

	Tim