[BLML] tangled

Eric Landau ehaa.bridge at verizon.net
Fri Mar 25 19:50:00 CET 2016

On Mar 25, 2016, at 9:19 AM, agot <agot at ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> Le 25.03.2016 13:45, Eric Landau a écrit :

>>> And what if one opponent has shown the exact count of the trump suit
>>> in
>>> the bidding, so that declarer knows that "drawing trumps" will need
>>> only
>>> one round, as each opponent has exactly one left ?
>>
>> If he intends to draw only one round of trumps because he (assumes he)
>> knows they’re 1-1 from the bidding, then he must say so when stating
>> his line.  Otherwise, “drawing trumps” with two out means playing (at
>> least) two rounds of trumps.
>
> What's the difference between this, and claiming on a straightforward
> squeeze when you know, from bidding and early play, that all relevant
> cards in all relevant suits are held by one single player ?
>
> Which IIRC is allowed. You just say "West will be squeezed between plums
> and grapes", you don't need to add "because I know from such and such
> event that he holds them”.

No difference really.  It suffices for the claimer who knows that trumps are 1-1 to say “drawing trumps in one round”, the equivalent of “squeezing West between plums and grapes”.  The point being that he must say *something* to indicate his intention; he can’t wait to see trumps break, or West get sqeezed, before saying that he knew about it all along.

Eric Landau
Silver Spring MD
New York NY