[BLML] Do players have to describe what they play?

Robert Frick rfrick at rfrick.info
Wed Sep 9 02:30:09 CEST 2015

This hand has caused some controversy here. A player opened 1S in first seat,vul versus not, with

AK8753
K43
10
742

The opponents were upset, roughly, that their card did not say that this hand would be opened 1 Spade.

As an expert pointed out to me today, he would open this hand 1 Spade. As I pointed out to him, he plays weak twos as having a range of 6 to 10. The players involved had 5 to 11 on their card.

These players seem to bid the same way as everyone who plays 5 to 10 -- a bad 11 point hand could get a weak two; a really good 10 point could get an opening one bid; any 12 point hand with a six card suit gets opened on the one level.

The complaining opponents said there would be no problem if the card was marked 5 to 10. One of the players involved has agreed they should put 5 to 10 on their card.

Do players have to say on their card what they play?

And if they do, then (unless we are wimps), they have to play what's on their card. Yes, there are a lot of reasons why a player might not have what it says on their card. But there has to be SOME reason.

To put this another way -- I sit down with a new partner, he says he wants to play 1NT as 16 to 18, we put that on the card, we announce that, but I have already decided I am going to open all 15 point hands 1NT. Is this legal?