[BLML] Back to the Future

Steve Willner swillner at nhcc.net
Sat May 30 16:50:24 CEST 2015

On 2015-05-29 3:06 AM, Tony Musgrove wrote:
> What's wrong with throwing the board out,

The pair who got the best score of any holding the NS cards will be
disappointed that their score didn't count.

In a later message, Tony mentions the situation where one or more tables
forget an instructed arrow switch.  He keeps the scores for those, and I
don't understand why that situation differs from the one I asked about.

On 2015-05-29 8:04 AM, Richard Hills wrote:
> From my point of view there are two distinct ambiguities in Law
> 16C2(a):

> 1. Is this Law still operative if the UI is received before the
> auction, but the Director is not summoned forthwith (eg at the end of
> play)?

I don't understand how it could be, but it seems to me the Director
could ratify a decision by the players to reseat themselves.

> 2. If this Law is necessarily inoperative, due to incompatible
> Conditions of Contest and/or scoring method, could the Director
> legally rule Fouled Board?

Wouldn't it be "board unplayable," not that I see how the difference
will affect the result?  If no valid play is possible, what other choice
does the Director have?  The hard part, of course, is deciding whether
valid play is possible or not.

Nothing in L16 seems directly applicable to the case I initially asked
about, but there might be an analogy.