[BLML] scoring question

Richard Hills hildalirsch at gmail.com
Thu May 28 19:06:59 CEST 2015

Thirty-five years ago I was a trainee Director in Hobart. When I ran the
Wednesday walk-in pairs, a two field Mitchell movement, it was traditional
for the experts to sit North-South and for the novices to sit East-West.

If I had made the Director's Error of rotating a board 90 degrees, and if I
had made a second Director's Error of letting the result stand, then I
would have hugely advantaged the expert pair and hugely disadvantaged the
novice pair. The experts, temporarily East-West, would be comparing their
result against the results of the other novices. The novices, temporarily
North-South, would be comparing their result against the results of the
other experts.

Another example was an English congress many years ago. Although there were
two sections, open and restricted, they shared the same boards. A
restricted pair accidentally wandered into the open section and played a
board. How would you rule?

Best wishes,

Richard Hills