[BLML] scoring question

Richard Hills hildalirsch at gmail.com
Thu May 28 17:38:20 CEST 2015

Law 16C2(a) is a useful Law, but I disagree with Sven calling it a "carte
blanche" Law.

For example, many years ago I played in the Spring National Teams. As I was
collecting a board from an adjacent table, LHO's ace of hearts fell face
up. I quickly concealed it with my foot, then summoned the Director. As
luck would have it, the trainee Director had not come across this obscure
situation before, so the Chief Director was summoned. The CTD checked
whether the other table had played the board. As they had not, I was
rotated into the ace of hearts seat, and the other table was  later
likewise rotated.

But if I had seen LHO's ace of hearts in a two-winner vanilla Mitchell
movement, then Law 16C2(a) would not apply. Instead the Director
would apply Law 16C2 (c), allowing completion of play pending consideration
of a possible adjusted score.

Note that it is illegal to apply the so-called "carte blanche" Law 16C2(a)
if the UI is received after the first call in the auction. In Steve
Willner's case play had been completed before the error was discovered. If,
for the sake of argument, one assumes that the Willner scenario was not a
fouled board, then nevertheless massive UI occurred during the auction and
play, hence no "carte blanche" ruling is permitted.

Best wishes,

Richard Hills