[BLML] The cad!

Richard Hills hildalirsch at gmail.com
Wed May 27 14:28:14 CEST 2015

Herman De Wael suggested:

".....the incomplete answer leads to the finding of the queen. Whoever asks
more, you play the queen on the other side....."

In my opinion, as discussed in the "Fourth suit farce" thread, players are
required to protect themselves after a trivial error by the opponents. So,
if Richard Hills was West and Hilda R. Lirsch was East, then neither of us
would "ask more".

Law  20G1 prohibits asking a question solely for partner's benefit. One
cannot dodge the application of this Law with the excuse, "I know that the
opponents have been playing EHAA for a decade, but perhaps they have just
switched to playing Nottingham Club instead." So to avoid a Law 20G1
infraction again one has to protect oneself.

Likewise, to avoid a Law 73F unnecessary and deceptive question infraction,
the solution is to avoid asking the deceptive question in the first place.
Nigel Guthrie's attractive idea of always asking a question is alas
illegal. Law 73F does not encompass a legal question cancelling an illegal
question a la positron - electron annihilation.

Best wishes,

Richard Hills