[BLML] Ruling last saturday

Herman De Wael hermandw at skynet.be
Mon May 18 15:50:51 CEST 2015

Herman De Wael schreef:
> Let me first poll you:
>
> You hold a reasonable 5332, 10 points.
>
> The bidding starts:
> 			you
> 	pass	1Di	1Sp
> pass	4Sp	pass	?
>
> any thoughts?

Not many, which confirms my ruling.

Actually, something had happened earlier, of course.

Partner of this pollster, in first hand, had passed and then called the
director "I wanted to do something different". I told him this was not
possible, and told his partner not to use that information.
When he subsquently laid down a 16-count 3334, all was revealed. The
contract was easily made, but I still had to decide whether partner had
used the UI. Clearly not in overcalling, which was a normal bid, but
passing? I decided against ruling, and I'm glad you all agree that there
was nothing to do.

Herman.