[BLML] Fourth suit farce

Tony Musgrove ardelm at optusnet.com.au
Sun May 17 09:10:16 CEST 2015

David Grabiner:

Experienced players are expected to protect themselves.  If they know
that the explanation is impossible, they cannot be damaged by MI.  I
don't know whether this particular explanation is impossible, though;
there may be some players who describe a system but play some bids which
are non-systemic, or even inconsistent.  (For example, in the US, many
players play four-suit transfers over 1NT but have the agreement that
1N-2C; 2H-2N shows 8-9 points and four spades, and thus they have no way
to invite game in NT without a four-card major.)

A more clear example would be a 1NT overcall by a passed hand, explained
as 15-17 points, this cannot be MI because the opponents know the
explanation is wrong.

Tony (Sydney):  exactly, if both the opponents know the explanation is
wrong, there can hardly be any damage.
Of course, there may still be UI floating around, but not likely in this
case