[BLML] Silent Psyche, Holy Psyche

agot agot at ulb.ac.be
Thu Dec 25 23:56:27 CET 2014

Le 23.12.2014 01:58, Richard Hills a écrit :
> Imps
> Dlr: West
> Vul: Nil
>
> The bidding has gone:
>
> WEST NORTH EAST SOUTH
> 1H(1) Pass 3H(2)   All pass
>
> (1) 5-card major
> (2) limit raise, 4-card support
>
> You, South, hold:
>
> AKJ7
> AKT932
> A6
>
> North's opening lead is the ten of clubs (denying the jack) and dummy
> tracks with:
>
> 986
> J874
> KQ6
> KQ8
>
> Declarer calls for the king of clubs, and you win the ace. Now you
> elect to play three rounds of spades, but declarer ruffs the third
> round with the five of trumps. Declarer attempts to cash two club
> winners, but you ruff the second one. Now you elect to lead a low
> trump in case partner holds the queen. But declarer wins the six of
> hearts as partner shows out.
>
> Declarer asks partner, "No hearts?" Is declarer's question an
> unethical attempt to deceive partner into thinking that a normal 5-4
> heart fit has run into a 4-0 break?

AG : quite the contrary. Declarer wouldn't be very surprised if he ran
into a 4-0 break. But a 6-0 break is a rare bird indeed, and seeing the
6 make the trick is wilder still. This is probably an exclamation of
surprise rather than a standard question. (the inflectio can't be
reproduced on the appeal form, something which I occasionally regret)