[BLML] Both players forget

Herman De Wael hermandw at skynet.be
Fri Aug 29 11:32:28 CEST 2014

I disagree with the last paragraph:

Sven Pran schreef:

> [Sven Pran]
> I agree with Richard. Note from Law 40C1:
>
> Repeated deviations lead to implicit understandings which then form part of
> the partnership's methods and must be disclosed in accordance with the
> regulations governing disclosure of system.

Note the word "deviations". I consider that to mean slight changes, not
complete forgettings like the 3C discussed in this thread.

> This IMHO cannot be understood other than that the implicit understandings
> (as well as other understandings) are subject also to regulations on
> legality.

Indeed it should. But this is with a use of deviations as above.

> We have had some similar cases: A partnership deviating their weak 1NT
> opening range from 10HCP (which is legal) down to "good" 9HCP (which is
> illegal) was told to stop it under threat of being disqualified from the
> event for using HUM.

Allow me to illustrate why I believe there is a very important
difference between the two cases:

- when a pair describe their agreement as 10-12, and they open it with 9
points, they could be guilty of misrepresentation. The system is
actually 9-12 and should be described as this. The responses to a
systemic 9-12 would be the same as a 10-12.
- when a pair describe their agreement as showing diamonds and hearts,
and they then do it with clubs (weak), there can be no
misrepresentation. It would be ludicrous to play a system in which 3Cl
shows either clubs or diamonds and hearts, and the answers to such a
system (if it could be played) would be totally different than the
answers to a simple 5/5 red.

So the first is a deviation, and the second is a misbid.
The deviation is actual system and is subject to system regulation and
misexplanation.
The misbid can only be subject to misexplanation as to the frequency of
the occurence.

Do you see the difference?

Herman.