[BLML] both players forget

Robert Frick rfrick at rfrick.info
Thu Aug 14 03:15:31 CEST 2014

On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 19:06:02 -0400, Ed Reppert <blackshoe at mac.com> wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2014, at 1:02 PM, Robert Frick <rfrick at rfrick.info> wrote:
>
>> N    E     S    W
>> 1D  P    3C
>>
>> alerted and (eventually) described as criss-cross. The player had
>> forgotten and had a weak jump shift in clubs. But both players agree
>> that
>> 3C is criss-cross and it's on their card. No rectification, right?
>>
>> N    E     S    W
>> 1D  P    3C   P
>>
>> Today, both players forgot they were playing criss-cross. When asked,
>> North was woken up and answered "criss-cross". Did the opponents receive
>> an accurate description of the Nourth-South agreement? (All the other
>> elements are present for rectification)
>
> Once is coincidence, twice is happenstance, three times is enemy
> action." Unless these guys have had this problem before, we're still at
> coincidence.

My partner and I once agreed to play Puppet Stayman, then the next time it
came up, we both forgot. I wouldn't rate that a coincidence.

I don't think that is what is happening in my example, but aren't there
conventions like Ghestam that people typically forget? It seems there is
something more than coincidence if two people forget an easily-forgotten
convention.