[BLML] no damage (last Friday)

Robert Frick rfrick at rfrick.info
Sun Apr 13 20:58:32 CEST 2014

E      S      W    N

1D    P    3C    P

North at this point said that 3C might be alertable. I was called to the
table and eventually ended up sending East away from the table and letting
West explain the partnership understanding of his own bid. He said it was
a strong jump shift. East came back and then passed. South passed, quickly
and happily.

South would know she might get a bottom if everyone else was in slam going
down. She was, of course, quite willing to take that risk. So I assume no
director is going to protect her if it turns out that she was not given
the correct explanation of the partnership agreement.

Now we can explain logically why she shouldn't be protected. Players
(almost always) use the explanation of the partnership agreement to find
out what a player has in his hand. Getting that from the player himself is
higher quality information, and she was happy to be getting that higher
quality information and fortunate to be getting it. One piece of evidence
is this: If, following the auction, we had had a long discussion
attempting to determine the true partnership agreement and it was
something different, she still would have passed.