[BLML] Reese Shapiro on BBC Radio 4. [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Tony Musgrove ardelm at optusnet.com.au
Wed Apr 9 06:13:41 CEST 2014

From: blml-bounces at rtflb.org [mailto:blml-bounces at rtflb.org] On Behalf Of Robert Frick
Sent: Tuesday, 8 April 2014 8:12 PM
To: Bridge Laws Mailing List
Subject: Re: [BLML] Reese Shapiro on BBC Radio 4. [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 18:56:40 -0400, Richard James HILLS <richard.hills at immi.gov.au> wrote:
UNOFFICIAL

Doctor Johnson’s Dictionary (1755), definition of “network”:

“Any thing reticulated or decussated, at equal distances, with
interstices between the intersections.”

Thanks Herman,

Listening to bridge on radio takes me back to Test Cricket
and even Davis Cup on the steam wireless. Of course, in
Australia we have had many recent instances of prominent
business identities, and even parliamentarians demonstrably
lying under oath, so my naïve director’s faith in believing
players’ self serving evidence is becoming rather bruised.

Cheers,

Tony (Sydney)

Thanks Tony,

Your postings restore my naïve faith in blml, which was
become rather bruised after reading presumptuous
criticism of Edgar Kaplan by a Law-breaking philosopher:

Presumptious?

tony: no, I think you will find that presumptuous is the correct spelling

Cheers,
Tony (Sydney)

Also, it is interesting that Kaplan makes no mention of his 1973 distinction between subsequent damage and consequent damage. Clearly we have subsequent damage. But I think no consequent damage.

>Kaplan is using the most primitive method of determining
>damage. There is a more sophisticated method that
>applies to this case. Using the more sophisticated method,
>there was no damage.
>
>No there was no damage, no need to rectify, and this
>ruling was wrong and makes the laws look bad.
>
>I am not saying that the laws require making the decision
>that occurred. The problem is that the laws contain only
>the most primitive definition of damage.

Cheers,

Richard (Canberra)
UNOFFICIAL

the sender and delete the message and attachments immediately. This email,
and/or copyright information. Any review, retransmission, dissemination
intended recipient is prohibited. DIBP respects your privacy and has
obligations under the Privacy Act 1988. The official departmental privacy
policy can be viewed on the department's website at www.immi.gov.au. See:

--
ExperiencesofWestAfrica.com