[BLML] L65D and agreement

Eric Landau ehaa.bridge at verizon.net
Tue Apr 8 14:59:39 CEST 2014

On Apr 8, 2014, at 6:40 AM, Robert Frick <rfrick at rfrick.info> wrote:

> Declarer and dummy said "down 1" and one defender agreed. They folded up
> their cards. The other defender then said "down 2". (The fourth player's
> cards looked to be in order but did not seem to be in order when I
> examined them.)
>
> A critical question was if that counted as agreement per L65D ("Agreement
> on Results of Play").

No, the critical question is whether declarer was down one or down two.  Only if the TD can't determine that do the legal niceties of what constitutes "agreement" matter.

> There was no L79A1 infraction, all four hands had not been returned to the
> board. Not sure how that would be relevant.
>
> And, ironically, while the first defender was agreeing on the results of
> play, that defender was not agreeing on number of tricks won -- the
> defender claimed that she was agreeing to 1NT down one, when the contract
> was actually 2NT.
>
> L79B2 apparently covered the situation -- "The director rules what score
> is to be recorded". And I consulted with a lawyer/director who said that
> one person agreeing counts as an agreement.

Rather than consult with lawyers, I'd have spent my time and effort trying to work out what actually happened at the table.

Eric Landau
Silver Spring MD
New York NY