[BLML] L65D and agreement

Robert Frick rfrick at rfrick.info
Tue Apr 8 12:40:31 CEST 2014

Declarer and dummy said "down 1" and one defender agreed. They folded up
their cards. The other defender then said "down 2". (The fourth player's
cards looked to be in order but did not seem to be in order when I
examined them.)

A critical question was if that counted as agreement per L65D ("Agreement
on Results of Play").

There was no L79A1 infraction, all four hands had not been returned to the
board. Not sure how that would be relevant.

And, ironically, while the first defender was agreeing on the results of
play, that defender was not agreeing on number of tricks won -- the
defender claimed that she was agreeing to 1NT down one, when the contract
was actually 2NT.

L79B2 apparently covered the situation -- "The director rules what score
is to be recorded". And I consulted with a lawyer/director who said that
one person agreeing counts as an agreement.