[BLML] Because [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Robert Frick rfrick at rfrick.info
Tue Apr 1 14:44:15 CEST 2014

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 19:39:33 -0400, Richard James HILLS
<richard.hills at immi.gov.au> wrote:

> [...]
> correctly explained on the other side of the screen
> actually promised zero (or three) aces by
> partnership agreement. Slam was bid and opening
> leader chose not to lead a singleton, which would
> have defeated the contract.
>It is easy and tempting to reason that nothing was
> wrong? After all, opening leader was correctly told
> the number of aces in declarer’s hand, so what harm
> was done? That reasoning may be common sense
> but it ignores bridge law. Common morality may
> require declarer to reveal, without deceit, what she
> holds, but bridge law requires something quite
> different: declarer must give her opponent an
> accurate explanation of the partnership agreement.
> She didn’t. Of course it is inevitable that a player
> who forgets her agreement behind a screen will
> break the law by giving a mistaken explanation.
> She will be morally blameless, since she explains in
> all honesty and good faith, but what the law
> demands of the explanation is not good faith, the
> law demands accuracy.
>Declarer’s inaccurate though honest explanation
> was, therefore, an infraction of law. That is enough
> to determine the director’s ruling, since information
> about aces obviously might affect the decision
> whether or not to lead a singleton. The Committee’s
> ruling is determined by its answer to this entirely
> unrealistic hypothetical question: how likely is it that
> the opening lead would have been different had the
> opening leader been given the accurate explanation
> (no aces) instead of the honest and inaccurate
> explanation (one ace)? The Committee in Perth was
> far from convinced that the one-ace explanation
> would have induced the singleton lead (had it been
> convinced, it would have adjusted the score to six
> down one), but it judged the change of lead to be a
> small but reasonable possibility. Accordingly the
> Committee awarded the adjusted score of 3 imps,
> “average plus” to the innocent team.
>Note that the strange circumstances of this case
> arose only because of a screen procedure, where a
> player explains her own bid: thus, the absurd
> requirement that she give an accurate explanation
> of an agreement she has honestly forgotten. The
> closest analogy in normal bridge, without screens,
> is the position in which you know that your partner
> has made a mistaken bid. Suppose he opens four
> clubs, which is supposed to show a strong heart
> opening with at least a semi-solid suit, when you
> hold S Axx H KQJxx D J10xxx C void. It is
> obvious from your cards that he has forgotten the
> agreement, so you intend to pass him right there.
> First though, your right-hand opponent asks about
> the four clubs bid. Your explanation must be “Strong
> four hearts opening with a very good heart suit”. That
> is, your obligation under bridge law is to describe your
> partnership agreement, not your partner’s hand. That
> legal obligation remains the same when, behind
> screens, you must explain your own action.

And, if Kaplan was being logical and just finishing his own thought, he
would have added this: When a player says his partner forgot the bid,
there can be rectification for any damage caused by this irregularity.

Which lacks common sense, etc.

--
ExperiencesofWestAfrica.com