[BLML] WBF Laws Committee [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Richard HILLS richard.hills at immi.gov.au
Thu Nov 28 23:12:49 CET 2013

UNOFFICIAL

J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit:

"I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my
paths led. And through the air. I am he that walks unseen. I am the
clue-finder, the web-cutter, the stinging fly. I was chosen for the
lucky number. I am he that buries his friends alive and drowns them
and draws them alive again from the water. I came from the end of
bag, but no bag went over me. I am the friend of bears and the guest
of eagles. I am Ring-winner and Luckwearer; and I am Barrel-rider."

This of course is the way to talk to dragons, if you don't want to
reveal your proper name (which is wise), and don't want to infuriate
them with a flat refusal (which is also very wise). No dragon can
resist the fascination of riddling talk and of wasting time trying to
understand it.

WBF LC minutes, 26th September 2013, item 1:

1. The Chairman raised the issue of the WBFLC's corporate
memory and discussed what steps might be appropriate in order to
provide for its preservation. Mr Wignall offered to liaise with Mr
Endicott and arrange for material of a historical significance to be
copied and lodged for safekeeping with the new Secretary.

Richard Hills:

Laurie Kelso (the new Secretary of the WBF LC) may be interested
to know that like Smaug the dragon I am a compulsive hoarder.

In 2006-2007 I was Grattan's semi-official "gremlin on the shoulder".
One of my semi-official tasks was version control for the drafting
and redrafting of constantly changing proposed Laws for the 2007
Lawbook. I have hoarded all of these zillions of documents, which
may well enhance Laurie's corporate memory.

WBF LC minutes, 26th September 2013, conclusion:

The Secretary commented that the committee had now considered
most of the submitted material proposing a change in the effect of
the Law. The items addressed however represented only about 8%
of the total number of submissions received, the balance being
material that targeted improvements in wording and/or layout while
still retaining the current meaning.

Richard Hills:

Indeed, 92% of recent debates on blml have been about untangling
ambiguities about what an obscure Law means. My personal hobby-
horse is whether the Law 93B3 phrase "exercise all powers" is or is
not limited by the Law 92A phrase "review of any ruling made ++at
his table by the Director++". That is, must an initial ruling be made
by the Director (and possibly later be reviewed by an Appeals
Committee)??? Or may an initial ruling be made by Appeals
Committee Number One (and possibly later be reviewed by Appeals
Committee Number Two)???

Kind regards,

Richard

UNOFFICIAL

intended recipient is prohibited.  DIBP respects your privacy and has