[BLML] interesting probst cheat [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Richard HILLS richard.hills at immi.gov.au
Sun Nov 24 22:27:01 CET 2013

UNOFFICIAL

Richard Hills:

>>What would Peter's ruling be if the contract was 3NT???
>>
>>In that case I would be inclined to believe that declarer encouraging LHO's
>>false inference as to the nature of the contract infracts Law 73F:

Alain Gottcheiner:

>AG : I wouldn't. Barring very good reasons to the contrary, the simplest
>explanation is that declarer believes, in all good faith, that he is playing a
>trump contract.

Richard Hills

"Simplest explanation" and "good faith" are criteria The Doctor should NOT
apply when determining if there has been an infraction of Law 73F. Instead
the criteria that The Doctor should apply are "could have known" and "no
bridge reason".

Alain Gottcheiner:

>I've seen this case at least twice. In both cases, at least one defender
>exclaimed "do WHAT ?", solving the problem in a non-academic way
>before it's too late.
>Now there is a debate whether declarer has named an inexistent card (no
>penalty) or whether he's called for the suit on dummy's right (either card
>stands as played or unestablished revoke). A majority on blml said it's the
>former.

Richard Hills:

Geronimo! Naming a non-existent card may not have a specific rectification,
but it is still an irregularity. If that irregularity causes damage to the non-
offending side, then Law 12A1 states:

"The Doctor may award an adjusted score when he judges that these Laws do
not provide indemnity to a non-offending contestant for the particular type of
violation committed by an opponent."

Alain Gottcheiner:

>Furthermore, in this case, dummy will probably be bamboozled by the
>instruction, and play nothing, hence no problem.

Richard Hills:

Yes, there is a problem; Alain has misread the scenario. Davros did not
merely call for a non-existent card from dummy, Davros called for that non-
existent card out of turn. Hence Davros' LHO was encouraged to play a losing
diamond card instead of a winning diamond card.

Kind regards,

Richard

UNOFFICIAL

intended recipient is prohibited.  DIBP respects your privacy and has