[BLML] interesting problem

Roger Pewick axman22 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 21 18:43:04 CET 2013

From: "Sven Pran" <svenpran at online.no>
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:59
To: "'Bridge Laws Mailing List'" <blml at rtflb.org>
Subject: Re: [BLML] interesting problem

>> Roger Pewick
>> From: "Peter Eidt" <petereidt at t-online.de>
>> > Von: Herman De Wael <hermandw at skynet.be>

>> > Peter:
>> > Yes, LHO may change his played card.
>> >
>> > Law 57 C2 tells us that the diamond ruff is a played card.
>> > This played card constitutes a (not-yet-established) revoke, which is
>> > not brought to the attention of anybody yet.
>> > LHO plays after both hands of declarer have played to the trick.
>>
>> > Now the revoke is noticed and declarer has to change his play from
>> > dummy.
>>
>> hmmm.  L57C2 has deep consequences:
>>
>>  A premature play (not a lead) by declarer from either hand is a played
>> card and
>> may not be withdrawn.
>>
>> Because such card may not be withdrawn L62B is rendered mute.
>>
>> regards
>> roger pewick
>
> [Sven Pran]
> Please do not forget Law 44C (and in particular the last clause):
> "In playing to a trick, each player must follow suit if possible. This
> obligation takes precedence over all other requirements of these Laws."
>
> "Following suit" is possible until it is too late to correct a revoke.

I'll take this opportunity to correct my error:

Because such card may not be withdrawn in the circumstance L62B is muted in
the circumstance .

L57C2 merely creates an additional circumstance beyond which "Following
suit" is no longer "possible".

Which begs the question, 'What ought to happen to the player in that
circumstance who does withdraw such card?'  - assess a reduction in score

regards
roger pewick