[BLML] Delayed challenge to a claim [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Sven Pran svenpran at online.no
Tue Nov 12 01:40:15 CET 2013

Law 69A says:

Agreement is established when a contestant assents to an opponent’s claim or
concession, and raises no objection to it before his side makes a call on a
subsequent board or before the round ends, whichever occurs first. The board
is scored as though the tricks claimed or conceded had been won or lost in
play.

Note the comma preceding the words “and raises no objection”

To the extent that Law 69A defines the term agreement this comma delimits
the definition from the following sentence which specifies the time during
which the claim can be legally objected to (not to be confused with the time
during which a concession may be cancelled or an agreement be withdrawn).

Law 69A is not a more specific law than Law 79 in the way that it redefines
the term agreement when used for claims and concessions rather than for the
number of tricks won as a whole. If it were to do that a precise definition
on exactly how an agreement must be made would have been required in order
to establish whether or not an agreement had been reached in a particular
case. Such definition could for instance be that no agreement has been
reached unless the words “I agree to the claim” (or words to similar effect)
has been spoken. As we all know Law 69 contains no such specification.

Law 79A1 clearly takes for granted that agreement on the number of tricks
won has been reached at the time when players restore their hands to the
board, and Law 79B prescribes the exact procedure to be followed when a
subsequent disagreement arises. Law 79B1 then instructs the Director to
apply Law 69 if he finds that there has been a claim or a concession in
cases of such disagreement. And Law 69 resolves doubtful points about the
claim or concession in favour of the claiming side, obviously based on the
principle that the claim had originally been agreed to.