[BLML] Delayed challenge to a claim [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Vigfús Pálsson vip at centrum.is
Thu Nov 7 09:26:21 CET 2013

Ég skal taka spilin

----- Upprunaleg skilaboð -----
Frá: "Robert Frick" <rfrick at rfrick.info>
Sent: Fimmtudagur, 7. Nóvember, 2013 06:16:05
Efni: Re: [BLML] Delayed challenge to a claim [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 22:07:36 -0500, Richard HILLS <richard.hills at immi.gov.au> wrote:

UNOFFICIAL

>Declarer claims, saying dummy is good (diamonds and clubs). After the
>hands are put back in the board, but before starting the next hand, the
>defence contests the claim, noting that clubs are blocked and declarer
>will end up in his hand.
>
>So what happens?
>
>It depends now on what declarer has in his hand. The question is, in
>case of doubt, which is certainly the case tonight, who gets the benefit of
>the doubt?
>
>The rules seem clear that it is defending side. Even though they kind of
>created the problem.

Richard Hills:

(1) The non-claimers did NOT create any irregularity whatsoever. A non-
claiming side has a RIGHT to delay acceptance of a claim under Law 69A.

(2) Law 70A’s prescription on “Doubt” merely states that “...any doubtful
point ++as to a claim++ shall be resolved against the claimer...”. If there is
doubt as to the cards played to tricks BEFORE the claim, then the relevant
Laws are Law 65D and Law 85.

I don't see how L65D is relevant. Can you explain? To recap, the players have put their cards back in the board and the defenders are now challenging the claim.

(3) A competent Aussie Director would carefully take the time to re-
construct the doubtful tricks before the claim.

>So, it can be do the defenders’ advantage, if they want to dispute a claim,
>to wait until the hands are shuffled and put back in the board?

Richard Hills:

(4) Giving an unthinking immediate ruling in favour of the non-claimers
on the doubtful facts of the pre-claim played tricks is a Director’s Error.

Lord Melbourne (British Prime Minister 1834, 1835 – 1841):

“When in doubt what should be done, do nothing.”
UNOFFICIAL

the sender and delete the message and attachments immediately. This email,
and/or copyright information. Any review, retransmission, dissemination
intended recipient is prohibited. DIBP respects your privacy and has
obligations under the Privacy Act 1988. The official departmental privacy
policy can be viewed on the department's website at www.immi.gov.au. See:

--
ExperiencesofWestAfrica.com