[BLML] Alerting a BOOT [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Tony Musgrove ardelm at optusnet.com.au
Wed Nov 6 05:50:51 CET 2013

From: blml-bounces at rtflb.org [mailto:blml-bounces at rtflb.org] On Behalf
Of Richard HILLS
Sent: Wednesday, 6 November 2013 1:29 PM
To: Bridge Laws Mailing List
Subject: Re: [BLML] Alerting a BOOT [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

UNOFFICIAL

Sven Pran:

>This situation can probably best be described by a discussion among
Norwegian
>directors some 30 years ago. We ended up with the (ridiculous)
conclusion that all
>doubles of low level bids should be alerted whether they were for
penalty or for
>takeout because the understanding would always be unexpected for some
players!

>That conclusion of course never reached the regulation.

Richard Hills:

No, that attempt at "reductio ad absurdum" by the Norwegian Directors
was flawed.

The ABF Pre-Alert regulation follows the guiding principle laid down by
Herman
De Wael (what would beginners using their national methods think was
normal and
usual?), with the ABF Pre-Alert regulation repeatedly using the key word
"unusual".

The vast majority of players in ABF-land are aware of two ++usual++
forms of the
Stayman convention ("Simple" and "Extended"). So under the ABF Pre-Alert
regulation it is not an infraction if a recent arrival to Australia from
Norway is not
pre-alerted about the unexpected (unexpected for this Norwegian only,
not un-
expected for her Aussie partner) use of Extended Stayman by her
opponents.

Best wishes,

Richard
UNOFFICIAL
[tony] My sketchy understanding of the ABF regs is that 2C over 1NT is
"self alerting", so the Norseman
would need to have been pre-alerted.  In any case, all the responses to
"Extended Stayman" have
to be alerted so he would quickly get back on track.  On the other hand
3C over 2NT does have
to be alerted for some reason.

Cheers,

Tony (Sydney)

Important Notice: If you have received this email by mistake, please
advise
the sender and delete the message and attachments immediately. This
email,
including attachments, may contain confidential, sensitive, legally
privileged
and/or copyright information. Any review, retransmission, dissemination
intended recipient is prohibited. DIBP respects your privacy and has
obligations under the Privacy Act 1988. The official departmental
privacy
policy can be viewed on the department's website at www.immi.gov.au.
See: