[BLML] Alerting a BOOT [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Richard HILLS richard.hills at immi.gov.au
Tue Nov 5 06:25:18 CET 2013

UNOFFICIAL

ABF pre-Alert regulation, clause 3.1.2:

This is the stage where you should draw the opponents' attention to
any unusual agreements you have which might surprise them, or to
which they may need to arrange a defence.

Examples:
transfer pre-empts, unusual two level openings, canapé style bidding,
++very unusual doubles++, unusual methods over the opponents'
1NT or strong club openings, unusual cue bids of the opponents'
suit, etc.

Pay ++particular attention to unusual self-alerting calls++. These
should appear on your system card, but should also be verbally pre-
alerted.

Richard Hills:

Each and every Double is self-Alerting during the auction in ABF-
land. However, in the Ali-Hills partnership we pre-Alert our doubling
methods, since we use non-penalty doubles after an overcall only if
our opening bid is 1C or 1D. For example, we have the "very
unusual" agreement that 1H - (1S) - X = penalty, not negative.

But because such a double of 1S is a natural call, not a conventional
call, on the information provided so far by Sven it seems that 1Sx
would be neither pre-Alerted nor Alerted in Norway, giving the Ali-
Hills partnership unexpected and unfair +800s when we visit Oslo.

David Burn, 20th December 2008:

"The trouble with this kind of discussion is that the Laws of bridge
and the accompanying regulations are for all bridge players, not
some tiny minority who play 25 different kinds of double, none of
them penalty and (if the above contribution is anything to go by)
most of them stupid. It is obviously in the interests of people who
play obscure doubles that they should not be alerted. It is not in
the interests of anyone else."

UNOFFICIAL

intended recipient is prohibited.  DIBP respects your privacy and has