[BLML] Alerting a BOOT [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Richard HILLS richard.hills at immi.gov.au
Mon Nov 4 23:15:30 CET 2013

UNOFFICIAL

Alain Gottcheiner:

>>And while it would be rather unexpected to play 1C p 2S as long spades
>>and 13+ (I do), it isn't alertable. (as it doesn't change the forcing character
>>of the bid).

Richard Hills:

>Maybe in Belgium the autochthonous meaning of the 2S response is almost
>universally forcing, but in many other parts of the world the autochthonous
>meaning of 2S is extremely non-forcing, as in those parts of the wold the 2S
>response promises 6 spades and almost non-existent values.

Alain Gottcheiner:

>>I think the true criterion is "there is something important to be known now".

Gordon Bower, April 2006:

"Autochthonous". Indeed a real word, though not one you hear very often.

Its antonym, "allochthonous", on the other hand, you will hear very frequently
-- if you are a geologist in Alaska, and we have at least one of those on this
mailing list. (It was news to me to discover, after the spelling bee, that the
words also have currency in other fields.)

Let's see: maybe we can use this to simplify the next edition of the alert rules:

"Autochthonous conventions are part of one's general bridge knowledge and
experience, but all allochthons are allocated alerts."

And anyone who takes that suggestion seriously ought be allochtrocuted.

GRB

UNOFFICIAL

intended recipient is prohibited.  DIBP respects your privacy and has