[BLML] Alerting a BOOT [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Alain Gottcheiner agot at ulb.ac.be
Mon Nov 4 13:46:58 CET 2013

Le 3/11/2013 22:36, Sven Pran a écrit :

> To appreciate this I shall need to know the upper strength (limit) for
> your pass to your partner's opening bid.
>
> In a natural system where opener can have as much as about 19HCP
> partner's pass will show less than 6 HCP while for instance in
> precision where opener is limited to 15 HCP partner's pass can be some
> 9 HCP. PASS that can be stronger than according to these limits must
> of course be alerted also in Norway.

AG : fundamentally,, the risk in balancing when opponents may have 15+9
is lower than when they can have 22+4, as is the case in Standard
American. Whence I don't see how your system can affect balancing tactics.

However, there could be an impact on declarer's line of play.

But I wouldn't call passing 1H with a 3244 9-count "highly unexpected"
in a strong club system. Nor would I bidding 4H with a 3532, scattered
14-count.

If you pre-alerted that 1D/H/S was limited, I would deem the heavy pass
non-alertable because it's "knowledge of bridge, not of partnership
understandings".

Best regards

   Alain