[BLML] detaching a card (or not)

Sven Pran svenpran at online.no
Sun Nov 3 23:37:44 CET 2013

> Robert Frick
> > [...]
> >> I was the director
> >
> > [Sven Pran]
> > Had you been summoned to the table or were you (accidentally) watching
> > as just another spectator?
> >
> > In the first case you must of course explain the laws, in the latter
> > you should IMHO keep quiet.
> > (You might find an occasion to instruct the offender at a later time
> > away from the table.)
>

> My memory is that director may correct any irregularity he becomes aware
of,
> no matter how it occurs. Of course, one might be more cautious if one was
> kibitzing. In this case, I was called for two simultaneous leads and I was
staying
> because there was a penalty card.
>
> I can't see what that has to do with me cautioning the player about
detaching
> cards an hour later.
>
> And I can't see what that has to do with the issue. To put this a
different way, if
> declarer detaches a card and gives the defense information, it is just a
matter
> of courtesy. If the defender detaches (or does not detach!) a card and
gives
> information to partner, there is also a UI problem that the laws too
carefully
> ignore.

[Sven Pran]
Law 74B3 applies to declarer as well as to defenders! There is no reason to
handle violations of this law differently depending on who is the offender.

I am fully aware of Law 81C3 but I am also very careful to not mixing my
presence at a table in my capacity as director with my presence as just
another kibitzer.

There are some situations where there is an apparent conflict between Law
81C3 and other laws, see for instance  Laws 64B4 and 64B5 where a premature
action by TD will directly deprive a side of some of their rights.

So in my opinion the director should not in any way interfere because of
irregularities he becomes aware of unless he is already present at the table
in his capacity as director or his immediate action is required in order to
avoid some irregularity for which there is no rectification possible.

I do not normally consider violations of Law 74B or 74C to be of a nature
requiring such immediate action by the director.