[BLML] detaching a card (or not)

Robert Frick rfrick at rfrick.info
Sun Nov 3 22:50:57 CET 2013

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 16:41:40 -0500, Sven Pran <svenpran at online.no> wrote:

>> Robert Frick
> [...]
>> I was the director
>
> [Sven Pran]
> Had you been summoned to the table or were you (accidentally) watching as
> just another spectator?
>
> In the first case you must of course explain the laws, in the latter you
> should IMHO keep quiet.
> (You might find an occasion to instruct the offender at a later time away
> from the table.)

My memory is that director may correct any irregularity he becomes aware
of, no matter how it occurs. Of course, one might be more cautious if one
was kibitzing. In this case, I was called for two simultaneous leads and I
was staying because there was a penalty card.

I can't see what that has to do with me cautioning the player about
detaching cards an hour later.

And I can't see what that has to do with the issue. To put this a
different way, if declarer detaches a card and gives the defense
information, it is just a matter of courtesy. If the defender detaches (or
does not detach!) a card and gives information to partner, there is also a
UI problem that the laws too carefully ignore.