[BLML] Alerting a BOOT [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Richard HILLS richard.hills at immi.gov.au
Sun Nov 3 22:13:11 CET 2013

UNOFFICIAL

Sven Pran:

>Norway seems to having selected a (slightly) different approach:
>(My translation): [...] Different environments have different expectations
>to the meaning of calls. Thus basing alerts on "common/unusual" has
>therefore proven unsatisfactory. Regulations are now mainly based on
>"conventional/natural".
>
>The main rule is that all conventional calls shall be alerted

If the Ali-Hills partnership visited Norway, we would often gain an un-
fair advantage on this auction:

Hashmat deals and opens with 1H or 1S, Hashmat's LHO passes, and now
I pass (alertable in Australia, non-alertable in Norway).

Expecting my pass to show very few values Hashmat's RHO then over-
balances into the auction. -800 when I turn up with 10 hcp and shortage
in Hashmat's major.

Aussie Regulating Authority:

3.2.2 Two classes of natural calls must be alerted (unless they are
self-alerting), viz.
(b) The call is natural, but its meaning is affected by other
agreements, which ++your opponents are unlikely to expect++.

Our unexpected other agreement is 1major opening - 1NT response =
artificial game force relay. So we pass when Standard American or Acol
partnerships would respond with 1NT.

An unintended consequence of the Norwegian alert legislation. For
another unintended consequence of legislation, see:

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/legislative-hard-men-flex-to-impress-each-other-20131019-2vt3h.html

UNOFFICIAL

intended recipient is prohibited.  DIBP respects your privacy and has