[BLML] Burn, David Burn [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Richard HILLS richard.hills at immi.gov.au
Mon Jan 14 01:48:19 CET 2013

UNOFFICIAL

Details of heterodox ruling by a different blmler:

>>Look up "Inverted Minors" in Amalya Kearse's
>>tome Bridge Conventions Complete, discover
>>that they do not apply after the 1H overcall by
>>North, rule that East has made an unalertable
>>misbid and therefore there is no infraction. :( :(

>It is pretty standard (at least here) that inverted
>minors are off in competition.

It is so-called "pretty standard" that if a partnership
has an explicit understanding that 1C - (Pass) - 1H
- (1S) - X = Support Double, then that partnership
so-called "must" have an implicit understanding
that 1C - (Pass) - 1H - (X) - XX = Support
Redouble.

But that ain't so. Pretty expert player Larry Cohen
has correctly observed that secondary implications
of conventions often have zero partnership
understandings.

>Except for ..... EBU-land, I expect a lot of
>company in ruling misbid.

No, professional ACBL Directors professionally
use the same official and authorised interpretation
of the Laws on partnership understandings as
professional EBU Directors professionally follow,
no matter what a heterodox blmler may happen to
dogmatically believe.

Best wishes,

Richard Hills

UNOFFICIAL