[BLML] complete ANeCdote incomplete? [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Richard HILLS richard.hills at immi.gov.au
Tue Feb 26 23:13:13 CET 2013

UNOFFICIAL

Law 45D, Card Misplayed by Dummy (first phrase):

If dummy places in the played position a card that declarer did not
name, the card must be withdrawn if attention is drawn to it before
each side has played to the next trick,

Herman De Wael:

>OK Richard, so now take a step back and turn the problem into
>a more simple one. Declarer calls for the ace of diamonds, which
>is in fact in dummy. Yet the person sitting in dummy's seat
>places the ace of hearts in a played position. Do we agree that
>the ace of diamonds is played,

Richard Hills:

No, the ace of hearts is the card played from dummy, unless and
until timely "attention is drawn" to dummy's error.

Herman De Wael:

>If three players follow suit to the diamond ace, have they
>revoked?

Yes, the other three players have indeed committed Law 62 un-
established revokes. Unusually those three players have two
ways to correct their revokes:

(a) change their three diamond cards to three heart cards,

or

(b) draw attention to dummy's error before each side has played
to the next trick.

What's the problem? The problem is that sometimes rigidly obeying
what the Laws actually say can lead to strange outcomes. So what?

For example, below is a constructed deal whereby South declares a
cold 7NT, cold because all 26 East-West cards are Penalty Cards.

..................*---
..................*AKQJT98765432
..................*---
..................*---
*KQJT8642..............................*A

Best wishes,

R.J.B. Hills

UNOFFICIAL