[BLML] complete ANeCdote incomplete? [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Herman De Wael hermandw at skynet.be
Tue Feb 26 09:41:14 CET 2013

OK Richard, so now take a step back and turn the problem into a more
simple one. Declarer calls for the ace of diamonds, which is in fact in
dummy. Yet the person sitting in dummy's seat places the ace of hearts
in a played position. Do we agree that the ace of diamonds is played,
If three players follow suit to the diamond ace, have they revoked? Now,
if all continues, the ace of hearts becomes the card played in the
trick, and declarer can later call for the ace of diamonds again, and
will he score that trick.
Do you really want a diamond trick to turn into a heart trick at some
later stage? Furthermore, if it is a heart trick (to which three people
have revoked, without penalty), then there is nothing we can do about
the subsequent trick with the diamond ace.
Far better is it to treat the first trick as a diamond trick, to which
dummy has revoked by playing the heart ace.

And yes, this is a reductio ad absurdem, and I realize that the
alternative is not absurd enough to be called impossible, but you must
see that this solution is also possible.

And yes, this makes the revoke card the first one played to the trick.
Note that L61 includes "failure to lead". This case is not covered, so
it may not technically be a revoke, but that really does not matter
since we can't apply revoke penalties anyway (faced hand).

Herman.