[BLML] complete ANeCdote incomplete? [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Herman De Wael hermandw at skynet.be
Wed Feb 20 12:57:45 CET 2013

Richard HILLS schreef:
>>However, from a blml point of view, the most important
>>ANeCdote from the ANC was this ruling ->
>>
>>Dummy had missorted their cards, placing the ace of
>>hearts in the diamond suit. At an early stage, declarer
>>called for the non-existent ace of “diamonds” from
>>dummy. All other players followed suit with low
>>diamonds, even the defender who actually held the real
>>ace of diamonds.

This has to be considered an incomplete trick (one without a missing
first card). The fact that it is a diamond trick is confirmed, in this
case, by all three players following to diamonds. Since the ace of
diamonds was called, the actual "play" of the piece of cardboard showing
an ace of hearts is of no consequence.

>>Four tricks later, that defender tried to cash the real ace
>>of diamonds. At that stage, the Director was called.

Ace of hearts restored to dummy - incomplete trick has to be conmpleted
with any diamond, and a revoke trick against dummy.

>>How would you rule?
> As TD I would seek further facts. Law 64B7 does not
> necessarily apply.
> When declarer led the so-called ace of “diamonds” from
> dummy, declarer may have been void in hearts, thus
> declarer “following suit” with a low diamond was in
> actuality declarer discarding due to being unable to
> follow suit to the ace of hearts.
> If so, not any revoke by the declaring side. J J
> Best quibbles,
> Richard Hills
> UNOFFICIAL

You cannot make a heart trick, and three revokes on the same trick, from
a trick which started, very clearly, with the ace of diamonds.

Herman.