[BLML] Can a complete designation become incomplete? [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Richard HILLS richard.hills at immi.gov.au
Tue Feb 19 03:59:04 CET 2013

UNOFFICIAL

>This is all irrelevant, Richard. It was a given of the original
>problem that she intended to say three. The idea that she
>meant to say "jack" and her mouth made a mistake and it
>came out "three" is farfetched.

Richard Hills, February 2013:

No, it was an irrelevant given of the original problem that
other players (perhaps falsely) believed that she intended to
say "three". Only the Director has the Law 85 power to
decide a player's (perhaps farfetched) original intent.

Richard Hills, August 2004 (farfetched but true):

The ANC (Australian National Championships) have just
concluded. The most important happening there was that
the ACT Open Team won the Interstate Open Teams for the
first time in 20 years. No doubt that gold medal was due
solely to the fact that this year I failed to qualify as a
member of the ACT Open Team.

However, from a blml point of view, the most important
ANeCdote from the ANC was this ruling ->

Dummy had missorted their cards, placing the ace of
hearts in the diamond suit. At an early stage, declarer
called for the non-existent ace of "diamonds" from
dummy. All other players followed suit with low
diamonds, even the defender who actually held the real
ace of diamonds.

Four tricks later, that defender tried to cash the real ace of
diamonds. At that stage, the Director was called.

How would you rule?

Best wishes,

R.J.B. Hills

UNOFFICIAL