[BLML] Flushed with success [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Richard HILLS richard.hills at immi.gov.au
Thu Feb 14 23:50:56 CET 2013

UNOFFICIAL

Sven Pran:

>History tells us that when in November 1925 the concept of
>vulnerability was introduced by Mr. Harold S. Vanderbilt in
>the game of bridge it was considered a major improvement of
>the game.
>
>Reversing this feature would seriously degrade the game.

Richard Hills:

Agreed.

In 1987 non-vulnerable doubled penalties were increased from
100, 300, 500, 700, 900... to 100, 300, 500, 800, 1100... which
was considered a major improvement to the game (for example,
skilful bidding by a vulnerable partnership to a cold grand slam
could no longer be neutralised by a frivolous non-vul sacrifice).

Indeed, even rubber bridge players admired the new non-
vulnerable doubled penalties, so they were also inserted into the
1993 Laws of Contract [Rubber] Bridge.

Ergo, I join Nigel Guthrie in supporting constructive changes to
the forthcoming 2017 Laws of Duplicate Bridge. However,
Nigel and I mostly - but not always - differ in opinion on what
would be a constructive change and what instead would be a
destructive change (mephitic unintended consequences).

Best wishes,

R.J.B. Hills

UNOFFICIAL