[BLML] Can a complete designation become incomplete?

Robert Frick rfrick at rfrick.info
Thu Feb 14 19:54:20 CET 2013

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 23:04:56 -0500, Ed Reppert <blackshoe at mac.com> wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2013, at 1:14 PM, Robert Frick <rfrick at rfrick.info> wrote:
>
>> Didn't say it was. The problem is this. "Three" is a complete
>> designation
>> and can't be changed. At least in ACBL-land. But "Three of" is an
>> incomplete designation and presumably can be changed. You are fond of
>> this? I would allow the change, but not be fond of that ruling.
>
> "Three" is a complete designation if it's a complete thought. "Three, no
> Jack of Hearts" designates the Jack of Hearts, not the three.

That is not a practical policy. Do you mean to claim that when someone
says three, but does not say the suit, that is an incomplete designation
and they can change it?

I think you would be out on a limb by yourself, at least in ACBL-land and
Belgium. From the ACBLLC:

Declarer leads toward the A–Q in dummy, intending to
finesse. He calls “Queen” without looking to see the card
that LHO has played, the King. He wants to change to the
ace. No matter how fast (without pause for thought) the
change is made — NOT INADVERTENT. When declarer
said “Queen” he meant the Queen.

At the table, the intonation (pitch) described to me was of a complete
thought ending in three.

--
Wisdom is the beginning of seeing.