[BLML] Flushed with success [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Richard HILLS richard.hills at immi.gov.au
Thu Feb 14 02:08:06 CET 2013

UNOFFICIAL

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/06/15/346883/-Our-Love-Of-Sewers-A-Lesson-in-Path-Dependence

Richard Hills, November 2008:

>> ..... due to "path dependence". An initial semi-random
>>setting of a standard ..... followed by a lock-in of that
>>standard.

Alain Gottcheiner, November 2008:

>AG : do you mean that those who act Lawfully do it only by
>chance ?

Richard Hills, November 2008:

No, I am saying that the exceedingly odd rules of bridge
arose by Darwinian chance, not by Intelligent Design.

The classic case was the introduction of the concept of
vulnerability. As Harold Vanderbilt was beta-testing
contract bridge in 1925, a fleeting acquaintance (so
fleeting an acquaintance that Vanderbilt forgot her name)
suggested that vulnerability be added to the rules. Had she
not been there, contract bridge would have evolved from a
different starting point.

Nigel Guthrie frequently suggests that the Lawbook should be
simplified. Abolition of vulnerability in 2018 would
simplify Laws 2, 77 and 87. It would also simplify the game
of Duplicate Bridge itself. But lock-in means that such a
major simplifying change will not happen. Especially when
one considers that many players like complicated assessments
of how vulnerability affects their matchpoint and imp
decisions in somewhat different ways.

Best wishes,

R.J.B. Hills

UNOFFICIAL